Monday, February 20, 2012

Spiced Applesauce - Secret Recipe Club

It's that time again, time for the Secret Recipe Club!  If you don't already know SRC is a group of bloggers that are assigned a secret blog and we each pick a recipe from our assigned blog and post it on ours with links to the original source.  It is a great way to discover new blogs and have others discover ours.   This month I was assigned Pepper and Sherry , a blog from England.  This was brand new to me and I there were a ton of recipes I wanted to try.  Unfortunately for this blog but wonderful for my business, the past two months have been extremely busy and I hardly cooked much at all.  I was planning on making the Cottage Pie because it has so many unique ingredients than what you normally find in Shepherd's Pie, such as dried Shitake mushrooms and a red chile.  I will get to this as soon as I can but if you try it before me please let me know.  It looks divine!

I decided to make Appelmoes also known as Dutch Apple Sauce.  I've been wanting to make apple sauce (and baked apples) all season and I loved the spices that are added.  I also picked this because my nieces and nephew love apple sauce and eat it as a snack all the time.  I thought that they might like to try a homemade version and since I'll be seeing them tomorrow it was a perfect fit.  This recipe couldn't have been easier and yet it is still full of flavor.  You can eat it as is or use it as an accompaniment to pork or something I love...Pierogies (Steve thinks that is so weird)! I didn't make many changes to the recipe at all.  I just left out the cardamom because I couldn't find a small container and I didn't want to buy a big bottle for $7 that I may not use again.  I don't think that mattered too much.  I also reduced the amount of some of the spices because I wanted to make sure the kids would eat it and it wouldn't be too strong on their delicate palettes.  I will post the recipe with my changes but you can view the original recipe (and check out all the other fantastic recipes) by clicking here

Spiced Applesauce


Ingredients:

4 cortland apples
2 tablespoons brown sugar 
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon 
1/4 tsp ground ginger 
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 
2 whole cloves

Directions:
  1. Very simply, peel and chop the apples, place in the saucepan with the sugar and spices and only about 1/2 cup of water.
  2. Bring to the boil and then cover, turn down to a low heat and cook, covered, for thirty minutes.
  3. The apples should now be soft so bring up the heat and stir until it thickens into a good, proper sauce.  (I used a potato masher so the sauce wouldn't be too chunky for the kiddies.)







6 comments:

Kim - Liv Life said...

Great recipe Michele!! I have to admit to loving apple sauce, my mom used to make it for me when I was little, but I haven't made it for my kids in years! What a wonderful post. Thank you again for providing such wonderful recipes for us! And it's been great to meet you.

Rhonda said...

Applesauce is so easy to make, I wonder why more people don't? Actually I think the applesauce and pierogies sound good!

Aimee Christian said...

Michele, Applesauce is one of my favorite simple homemade dishes. I agree with Rhonda, I don't know why more people don't make it at home. It's waaaayy too easy. I love making it in the crock pot and then turning half of it into apple butter, just by adding more spices and leaving it in there (instructions on my blog if you like).

I came over from SRC and this was a great choice.

Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } said...

Never think to make applesauce, it is always one thing I buy. Now I have a great recipe to make. Glad to be part of SRC group C with you.

Teri@thefreshmancook said...

What a great recipe! i have never made applesauce, but now, I must try it!!

jasmin jew said...

Awesome !!! Thanks for sharing

Bakeries in Lucknow