Friday, December 16, 2011

Daphne Oz's Citrus Salt Scrub - Homemade Gift Idea


Have you ever watched The Chew?  I may have mentioned it here before.  I record it every day but don't always have the time to watch them all.  It takes up quite a bit of space on our DVR! On one of the episodes Daphne Oz (daughter of Doctor Oz) made a homemade body scrub.  The ingredients are just oil, citrus zest (I used a combo of grapefruit, orange, lemon and lime zest) and salt.  I thought it would be just perfect to give as a gift to the girls attending my cookie exchange.  This was so easy to do and you can really go crazy with dressing up the packaging.  I kept it very simple and just put a little Christmas Ribbon on it because as always I wait until the last minute to get everything done!  The scrub was made with coconut oil which is a little bit expensive.  You can get it at Trader joes for about $6 a jar.  Since I multiplied this recipe times 6 I would have needed another jar but instead I just added some canola oil.  That helped to keep the cost down.  I picked up these 5.4 oz jars from The Container Store which were pretty inexpensive and of course can be reused.  The recipe was enough to fill about 8 jars.   I'm going to experiment with this recipe and try using sugar in place of the salt.  What do you think?  Wouldn't you love to receive a gift like this?  I know I would!

Citrus Salt Scrub

Daphne Oz

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup sea salt
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil (can substitute almond oil/olive oil/vegetable oil)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons citrus zest (you can use lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, or a combination)
Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, make sure to not allow any water near the bowl. Any water will dissolve the salt. Pour mixture into an airtight container and store in a cool dry place.
 
To use: While in the shower, mix ingredients with your finger tips. Apply body scrub with hands or soft wash cloth. Rinse mixture off completely.












1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great gift! I never thought to make a homemade body scrub!