Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

I have to thank Mary Crehan one of my fabulous Willow House hostesses for this recipe.  I tasted it at her party a couple of weeks ago and knew I had to make it.  It tastes delicious when it's warm right from the oven and is even great cold or room temperature.  I had some for breakfast the next day with a drizzle of agave syrup. I'm considering replacing my Baked French Toast with this dish for my cookie exchange. What do you think?

I didn't make any changes to this recipe besides adding some cinnamon and nutmeg and used 2 cups half and half and 2 cups whole milk.  Any combination of heavy cream, half and half and whole milk will work just like it does for the french toast. The bread pudding isn't overly sweet but some of my family felt that a dusting of powdered sugar would really complete this dish.  I did notice that it was an option but to be honest on Thanksgiving I was just too busy to pull out the shaker and fill with powdered sugar.  Next time I'll do that.  After speaking with Mary she mentioned that when making this the second time she sliced the bread instead of cubing it and it held it's shape better.  So I guess you can do it either way. 

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

Ingredients:
1 loaf of challah bread, cut into cubes (or slices)
1 small can of pumpkin puree
2 cups of half and half
2 cups of whole milk
1 cup sugar
sprinkling of cinnamon and nutmeg, to taste
6 eggs, beaten
powdered sugar, optional

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place cubed bread on a baking sheet and bake until toasted and browned (10-15 mins).  Combine half and half, milk and sugar, add pumpkin, eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Transfer bread cubes to a 9x13x2 casserole dish and cover with milk mixture.  Toss all the bread to coat.  Wrap with plastic wrap and allow bread to absorb milk in the refrigerator overnight.  The next day bake in a 375 degree oven for about 1 hour or until all the liquid is absorbed.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Serve warm, room temperature or cold. 

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.



2 comments:

janice15 said...

Helo, do you think I can use fresh pumpkin, it sounds and looks divine can't wait to make it thank you for sharing...Have a great day Janice...

Patti T. said...

I love these types of recipes.I will have to give this one a try.