Thursday, October 13, 2011

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

Last year I tried making these slow roasted tomatoes after seeing them on blogs everywhere. They were simple, easy and fantastic. I put them on sandwiches, on antipasto platters and in pasta salad. I wanted to make them again and found it intriguing when my friend Marie said that her husband's gradmother added chopped garlic and basil to it. The idea sounded fantastic however I never asked any questions and didn't really think it through. Turns out Marie and I completely misunderstood each other. We discovered this when she and her hubby came over for dinner. I showed them to her and told her that they were good but the garlic was a little bitter. I liked them much better plain. She asked what I did and I told her that I did what she told me. We ended up laughing all day about it because I had TONS of these tomatoes and adding garlic to them while roasted was not at all what she meant. The tomatoes weren't bad but the garlic did not taste great after being roasted in the oven for 2 hours. I need to clarify exactly what she did mean.  Next year I say she makes them for me, what do you think?

Wondering why I'm posting this? Well I still think that slow roasting  is a fantastic way to cook plum tomatoes.  They aren't dried out like sun-dried tomatoes.  They are sweet and still a little plum and have an incredible flavor.  Next time I just won't put anything other than oil, salt and pepper on them. They are still salvageable though. I took off the garlic from some of the tomatoes, chopped them up and made a sauce with them. They were still delicious! I will post that soon. 

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

Plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and seeded
salt, pepper, olive oil

Toss tomatoes with oil, salt and pepper.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchement paper or foil.  Lay the tomatoes cut side up on the baking sheet.  Bake at 250 for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.


No comments: