Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Aunt Maryann's Not So Stroganoff Beef Stroganoff


Yikes!  This title sounds like those long titles Rachael Ray gives to her recipes.  I get it now, it's really difficult to come up with a name for a dish and it's very easy to get corny.    This is one of those recipes that does not yet have a proper name. My Aunt Maryann gave me this recipe years ago when I was first learning how to cook. I never made it probably because I thought some of the ingredients to be a little odd. I should have trusted her because she is an excellent cook. This recipe will certainly be making it's rounds in my kitchen! So Aunt Mare (but you've got to say it with the Brooklyn accent and leave out the R haha!) and I were chatting yesterday and I remembered this recipe. We got to talking about it and decided that it probably isn't Beef Stroganoff. Traditionally, Beef Stroganoff has mushrooms and sour cream in it. I do think mushrooms would go very nicely in this dish and if I had them I would have added some in. I threw in a couple of shallots because I had them and a couple of glugs of red wine which added body to the sauce. Neither of those ingredients are part of her recipe but you know how I like to make some minor adjustments to make it my own. I suggest you do the same thing!

Aunt Maryann's Not So Stroganoff Beef Stroganoff

 
Ingredients:

1 - 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat (round)
2 carrots, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 shallots, sliced
2 tbsp. Teriyaki Sauce (I started with approximately this amount and added more later)
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (same as above)
1 bag egg noodles or no yolk noodles
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
flour
2 1/2 tablespoons of butter
vegetable or canola oil
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1 can petite peas or a couple of handfuls of frozen peas



Directions:

1.  Cut the beef cubes in half so you have bite size pieces.  Season the flour with salt and pepper and stir to combine.  Toss beef cubes in the flour and shake off excess.  Brown the meat in a combo of butter and canola oil (the butter is for flavor and the canola oil has a higher smoke point) and then set meat aside. You may have to do this in two batches. 

2,  Add in more butter and oil if needed and this time some extra virgin olive oil and saute carrots and shallots.  Once shallots become translucent and soft add the garlic.  Be careful to not let the garlic burn. 

3. Add reserved beef to the pot and push to the side.  Add a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of flour and stir until combined.  Then stir the whole pot.  Add Teriyaki, Worcestershire sauce, red wine and water to just about cover the beef.  Let liquid come to a boil and then reduce to simmer.  Cook for about 2 hours or until beef is tender.  Stir occasionally and add more wine or water if the sauce reduces too much. Taste and adjust seasoning (salt, pepper, Worcestershire or Teriyaki) until desired flavor is reached.  Add drained peas until heated through.

4.  Boil and drain noodles.  Remove beef from pot and set aside. Toss noodles with the sauce and add half of the chopped parsley.  Spoon noodles out onto a serving platter and top with the beef.  Sprinkle with remaining parsley. 


Click here for a printable version of this recipe. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds soo yummy! I am looking forward to trying it out this weekend.
I am now a follower of your blog. Would love it if you would check mine out.
Thanks!
Kim

Joe Ambrosino said...

Hi Michele,

Have you tried the new Philadelphia Cream Cheese Cooking Sauces? I got a sample of the garlic sauce and tried it in a recipe of mine with excellent results. I bet it would be a great addition to your recipe too.

Patti T. said...

Michele, this sounds great, even if it isn't stroganoff, ha ha. I think hubby and I would love this.