Monday, August 16, 2010

Ciambella with Summer Berry Compote




Psst - anybody still out there? I sure hope so. It's been a long time. I know, I'm sorry. It is not easy balancing everything I'm working on these days but I am going to really try to start blogging again more regularly. So I'm going to get right to it.

This weekend I made a Ciambella with a Summer Berry Compote for my dinner group. It's a ring shaped cake but it tastes more like a cookie. It tastes similar to the anisette cookies that I make, a one baked biscotti (so it's technically not a biscotti because that means twice baked.) This dessert could not get easier. In fact, I made this years ago and it was one of the first Mario Batali recipes I ever tried. It all gets done in the food processor and pretty much just gets thrown together. That's the kind of dessert I like to make since we all know how often I ruin desserts! lol

The only changes I made to this recipe was that I left out the blackberries. I think it was just as good with the raspberry, blueberry combo. I think I will brush it with an egg wash next time. Just so it looks shiny and pretty. It is pretty rustic looking and I think if I cooked it longer it would have dried it out.
Let me know if you try this!




Ciambella with Summer Berry Compote
by Mario Batali


Ingredients:

1 pint blueberries
1 pint blackberries
1 pint raspberries
Juice of 1/2 lemon
3 tablespoons sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
8 tablespoons cold sweet butter, cut into 1/2-inch dice plus 1 tablespoon
1 large egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup cold milk


Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium saucepan, combine berries, lemon juice and sugar. Place over medium heat and cook until just boiling, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Place flour, sugar and baking powder in a food processor and pulse quickly to blend. Add cold butter and pulse quickly until mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. In a separate bowl, beat egg, almond extract and milk until smooth. With food processor going, add liquid all at once and blend 10 to 15 seconds, until just forming a ball. Remove dough from processor to a well-floured cutting board. Shape the dough into a log about 14 inches long and 1-1/2 inches tall. Grease a cookie sheet with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and lay the log in a round in center. Place in a preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove and allow to cool to room temperature. (I served it cold which I liked better than warm or room temp) Cut into slices about 1-inch thick, top with 2 tablespoons of berry compote and serve.


Click here for a printable version of this recipe.

4 comments:

teresa said...

what a beautiful summer dessert!

Bob said...

You're back! The cake sounds fantastic, I bet it would be good with any berry combo.

Patti T. said...

So great to see a new post from you and what a delicious dish. Definitely printing this one out, would be great with so many summery fruits!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Oh yes, I'm still here and glad you're back. I love a good ciambella and with those berries it takes it to an even better place.