Monday, March 15, 2010

Tomato Soup and Cheesy Garlic Toasts



We had a little tease of spring last week but were brought back to reality with torrential rain and wind that caused us to lose power on Saturday.   The weather left both Steve and I craving a hearty bowl of soup to warm us up.  Originally I planned on adding some spinach to the soup.  I added about a handful and then decided I really liked it as is.  Feel free to add it if you want but the soup was delicious without it.


Tomato Soup


Ingredients:

2 cans diced tomatoes
1 - 8oz can tomato sauce
4 cups (1 box) chicken stock
1 large onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
extra virgin olive oil
10 leaves fresh basil (frozen can be used in its place)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp sugar

Directions:

Saute onion and garlic until softened in extra virgin olive oil. When onions are translucent add diced tomatoes and let cook over medium high heat for about 10 minutes.  Add sauce and stock and let it come to a boil. Season with salt, pepper and sugar and basil.  Reduce heat to medium and let cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Taste and season accordingly.  Blend with immersion (stick) blender until smooth.  Serve with grated pecorino romano cheese. 



Cheesy Garlic Toasts

Ingredients:

1 loaf of crusty Italian bread
2 tablespoons softened butter
2 cloves garlic, minced to a paste (chop garlic, top with a little salt and smash with side of knife)
2 tablespoons pecorino romano cheese
parmigiano reggiano cheese
piave cheese




Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

Slice bread into 1/2 inch slices.  Combine butter, garlic and romano cheese.  Spread on bread slices.  Grate parmigiano and piave over each slice. 

Bake for 10 minutes or until bread is crispy.  If you want the cheese to have a little more color, turn the broiler on and broil for 5 minutes. ( Make sure you watch them so they don't burn.)





Click here for a Printable version of Tomato Soup and Cheesy Garlic Toasts.



17 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

This would have been the perfect lunch today. We're getting lots of rain and sleet and gross weather. I love tomato soup, and the cheesy garlic toasts are a nice take on the traditional grilled cheese.

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Yum! And so easy!!

Julie said...

Very yummy...those garlic toasts are calling my name! I've never heard of piave cheese.

DutchBakerGirl said...

Total comfort food! Yum!

Shane T. Wingerd said...

OOOO Such great comfort food!

Allie and Pattie said...

This just happens to be one of my favorite meals to enjoy when I'm working by myself- pure comfort!
xoxo Pattie

Lyndas recipe box said...

This is an easy, delicious meal for such a cool and rainy day! I love the easy preparation of your soup-will give it a try!

Patti T. said...

I have been so hungry for tomato soup, I just have to make some this week. Love the garlic toasts to go with it, I always make grilled cheese, but your idea is great! I also have never heard of piave cheese.

teresa said...

this looks mouthwatering!

Bob said...

The soup sounds great, but those toasts are definitely the main attraction for me. Love that stuff!

Anonymous said...

Both of those sound just yummy!

Unknown said...

thats a soup I've never made but have always wanted to. I've put it off because Dennis is more into stews if he's going to be served anything in the soup family. But man...I really wanna try this. it looks very yummy

Kim said...

Your cheesy garlic toasts are making me drool! I'll have about 4 of them:D The soup sounds wonderful with all that delicious basil.

Christy {SparklesandSpinach} said...

This looks so good!!!

Barbara GF said...

That is pure liquid comfort in a bowl, Michele. I was just thinking about making a creamy tomato soup, and now I am inspired, especially with the cheese toasts!

rosasdolcevita said...

This looks so yummy! I'm always looking for different types of tomato soups and I will have to try yours. It's great paired up with garlic toast.

I have an award for you, Michele. Feel free to stop by when you get a chance.

Kathleen said...

Yum! This looks sooo delicious!