Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Penne with Sausage and Beef Ragu



Sometimes we just need something a little different.  Not too crazy, just a little altered.  That's what this recipe is.  It's a basic meat sauce recipe that has ground beef and sausage in it.  It's very tasty, I promise!

Sausage and Beef Ragu

Ingredients:

2 cans crushed tomatoes
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground sausage meat or 6 sweet sausage links removed from their casing
6-7 basil leaves (or 2 frozen cubes)
salt and pepper
garlic powder
Mrs. Dash Table Blend
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp sugar

Directions:

Break up sausage with you fingers and add to a preheated pot with 1 tablespoon oil.  Add ground beef.  Saute beef ans sausage until browned. Sprinkle with garlic powder, Mrs. Dash, salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Use a potato masher or wooden spoon to break up the meat so you don't have any large chunks. Drain oil from meat and set aside.

Saute onion and garlic in EVOO. Return meat to pot and add tomatoes. Swish water in the cans and add about ½ can of water or as needed so it’s not too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add basil. Let cook for ½ hour, stirring occasionally so sauce does not burn. Taste again for seasoning. Add 1 tsp of sugar or a little more if needed. Allow sauce to cook for ½ hour more and taste again.

Serve over your favorite pasta.

Click here for a Printable Recipe of Sausage and Beef Ragu.


6 comments:

Shane T. Wingerd said...

MMMMMM That is a mighty delicious looking Ragu. Can you pass me a bowl?

Bob said...

Looks good to me! I love me some ragu.

Lyndas recipe box said...

I'm loving this; actually I could eat this every week as I love dishes like this!

vanillasugarblog said...

hey michelle-

can you email me (your email button on page isn't working). i wanted to send you link to someone who i am pretty sure stole a photo from you to use as their own.

vanillasugarblog@aol.com

Delicious Dishings said...

I made lasagna today (to portion out and freeze for dinners when I'm too lazy to cook!) and ended up with extra ground beef and sausage... I know what I'm using the leftovers for now!

Niki said...

This one looks so good...YUMMY!